1. Cut out 45 squares for the front and 45 for the back to line the skirt (size Toddler 3-5). I used white fabric to line the skirts.
2. Lay out the squares and make a pattern. Then I copied it for the second skirt.
3. Pin the rows together so they are ready to sew.4. Sew the squares together forming rows, then sew the rows together so that all squares are sewn in the pattern you layed them out in. Make sure you sew lining sides together and pattern sides on the outside.
5. Cut 2 strips for the bottom hem and the waist band. Cut the fabric 3x the width of the waistband so there is room to fold in half and fold the edges under. Cut the bottom hem at 3" wide and do the same thing. I had to piece my waistband/hem together to make it long enough.
6. Sew the hem on first and trim it to fit the width of the skirt.
7. Fold the skirt in half and sew up the back seam, again, lining inside and pattern outside.
8. Attach waistband the same way but leave a hole to thread the elastic through. You must use a large safety pin to do this otherwise you'll spend a lot of time and be really frustrated...ask me how I know.